7 minutes reading time (1445 words)
He's tried it all - nothing works
Have you ever felt frustrated or even hopeless about how you look? How you feel? Your health? Let me share a story with you about "Bob". Bob was feeling really frustrated and hopeless. At only 52 years old he weighed in at 250 lbs. In his words, he used to be fit and healthy when he was younger, but over the years he's gained a lot of weight and lost a lot of energy. He has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and prediabetes. His doctor says he needs to lose weight or else he'll be at risk of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.He's tried so many diets and exercise programs, but nothing seems to work for him. Of course, with each diet, he's lost weight, but he's hungry, tired, and miserable. Then he binges on junk food and gains back all the weight he lost. It's like a vicious cycle that he can't break. Sometimes he jokes with friends that he's become a "weight loss expert" because he's spent his life losing weight and then gaining it all back again, plus more.
He just doesn't know what to do anymore. He wants to lose weight and get back down to 170 lbs like he was in his 20s. But it seems impossible for him at this age. He was desperate to find answers and decided to throw a post out on facebook asking if anyone could help him. He hoped that someone, anyone, may have also been in his situation and found a way out. These are some of the comments he received.
- Hey man, sorry to hear about your struggle. Have you tried keto? It's the best diet ever! You can eat all the bacon, cheese, and butter you want and still lose weight! It works wonders for me!
- Keto is terrible for you! It will ruin your kidneys and liver! You need to go vegan instead! Veganism is the only way to be healthy and compassionate! You will feel amazing on a plant-based diet!
- Veganism is a cult! You will become deficient in protein, iron, and B12! You need to eat meat to be strong and healthy! You should try carnivore instead! Carnivore is the ultimate diet! You only eat meat, eggs, and dairy! Nothing else!
- Carnivore is insane! You will get scurvy and colon cancer! You need to eat fruits and vegetables to get vitamins and antioxidants! You should try paleo instead! Paleo is the original human diet! You eat like our ancestors did: meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, fruits, and vegetables!
- Paleo is outdated! You need to eat grains and legumes to get fiber and carbs! You should try Mediterranean instead! Mediterranean is the healthiest diet in the world! You eat like the people in Greece and Italy do: whole grains, legumes, olive oil, fish, cheese, wine, and some fruits and vegetables!
- Mediterranean is too complicated! You need to keep it simple and just cut calories! You should try calorie counting instead! Calorie counting is the easiest way to lose weight! You just eat less than you burn! It doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay within your budget!
So after reading those "suggestions", how do you feel? Yeah, Bob felt that same way. He was overwhelmed, frustrated, and confused by all the conflicting advice he received from his friends on social media. He didn't know who to trust or what to follow. With no way to decide who he should listen to, he decided to try each diet for a week and see which one worked best for him.
He wanted to give keto a try but he had no idea what to do. He searched online for keto recipes but they all seemed too complicated or expensive or boring. He gave up on keto after one day of eating bacon and cheese.
He switched to a vegan diet and ate nothing but beans, tofu, and kale for a week. He felt bloated and gassy and his skin broke out. He checked his weight and saw that he had gained 3 lbs.
Then he switched to carnivore and ate nothing but steak, eggs, and cheese for the week. His hunger decreased, and his joint pain went away but he was getting bored with eating such limited foods and he didn't know how much of anything he was supposed to eat. He checked his weight and lost 7 lbs but he knew he couldn't keep doing this long term and was scared to continue because of everything he'd learned all his life about red meat and eggs being bad for him.
Then he tried paleo and ate nothing but chicken, salmon, nuts, seeds, berries, and broccoli for the week. He was surprised that he could eat so many sweet things too which at first he liked, but he again felt bored and was unsatisfied, not to mention his wallet was just about empty. Paleo was expensive! He did lose 2 lbs but he couldn't afford to keep eating like this.
Next was the Mediterranean diet where he ate nothing but whole wheat bread, lentils, olive oil, sardines, cheese, wine, apples, and tomatoes for the week. He felt happy and was often tipsy but his stomach hurt a lot. After the week, he weighed himself and had actually gained weight.
After all of these attempts, he finally decided to go back to the one thing he had done over and over again in his life. Cut back on how much he ate and eat nothing but low-calorie, non-fat foods for the week. After the week he had lost a few lbs but he was always hungry, tired, and felt miserable.
It didn't matter what Bob tried, nothing worked. Everything Bob tried made him feel worse in some way or another. "Maybe it's true," Bob thought, "as you get older, you just get fatter and feel like crap. Eventually, we all end up overweight, with diabetes or a list of other diseases and we take dozens of prescriptions and supplements attempting to reduce the pain, fatigue, and frustration even just a little."
Can you relate? Have you ever experienced something like this? Has anyone in your family felt this way? Your spouse? Your children? Your parents? If so, you are not alone. In fact, these feelings are so common, it's actually more uncommon to find someone who doesn't feel this way. So is there any hope or is this just what happens as we get older? We get sicker and fatter as we age and we just have to accept it? We may be living longer (which unfortunately is no longer the case and for the first time ever, our lifespans are getting shorter) but we are living longer, sicker. We are dependent on medications and supplements for life and the majority of us die from complications from chronic, progressive, lifestyle diseases.
Well, this is where I come in. I am a metabolic health practitioner, who specializes in helping people lose weight and improve their health by addressing their individual needs and challenges. I provide a comprehensive assessment of your medical history, lifestyle habits, hormone levels, gut microbiome, and genetic factors. I then create a personalized plan that includes dietary recommendations, movement options, stress management techniques, sleep hygiene tips, and more. Not only do I provide all of this, but I also hold your hand through the entire process and guide you through it all. Together we figure out what works for you, and for your lifestyle so that you can sustain these changes and improve your health.
[GET STARTED WITH MY FREE DOWNLOAD HERE: 5 "HEALTHY" FOODS MAKING YOU SICKER & FATTER]
I'll teach you how to eat according to your body's needs and preferences. You'll learn how to move in ways that you enjoy and that benefit your health. You'll learn how to cope with stress without resorting to food; how to sleep better and longer and how to take care of yourself without a lifetime dependence on prescriptions and supplements.
- You'll lose weight, and reduce your blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, insulin, and inflammation.
- You'll feel energetic, confident, and happy.
- You'll reverse the diseases you thought were chronic and progressive.
All of this will happen because you'll have found the best way to improve your health, which is to address the root cause and restore the lost function.
I hope Bob's story has inspired you to do something different. Add more life to your years and live your life without weight gain, fatigue, brain fog, chronic disease, or dependence on medication and supplements.
Find the root cause, restore the lost function, and add more life to your years.
Remember, if you don't make time for your health,by Author
you'll be forced to make time for your illness.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.